In representing divorcing spouses with more complicated financial issues before all of Hawaii’s Family Courts, we have developed, since 1976, a special philosophy which guides us in all we do. That philosophy in turn lets us serve our clients in a uniquely different way.
- It is a privilege and an opportunity to represent every one of our clients.
- If we do our job well, we can provide a great benefit to every one of our clients.
- Our clients want to get divorced on fair and workable terms without needless conflict or expense.
- We must do everything we can to protect our clients’ privacy.
- Our clients should be involved in each step of their divorce.
- Divorce has many “moving parts,” and we must carefully attend to all of them.
- We should always have a clear and definite plan.
- We should keep up with the ever-changing law, for it provides unique opportunities for our clients.
- We should first be peacemakers, diplomats, and dealmakers. We should seek alternatives to litigation. Litigation is generally too expensive, risky, invasive, and destructive to be the preferred alternative.
- As there sometimes will be litigation, we must be skilled litigators.
- Nastiness does not equate with effectiveness. A willingness to listen to the interests of others is not a sign of weakness.
- We are not interested in playing games, engaging in “half-truths,” or “hiding the ball.” We expect the same from everyone we deal with.
- Once the process of divorce begins, time is of the essence. The longer it takes, generally speaking, the more it will cost, and the more it will hurt. Delay, confusion, and distractions are the principal impediments to our success.
- Our clients’ children are their most important concern. We must help protect and care for them.
What Distinguishes Us
- We have long been recognized in the Hawaii family law community as among the very best at what we do. Since 1976, we’ve had extensive experience and success in resolving more complicated Hawaii divorces. We know the unique opportunities complicated divorces can provide, and we know the pitfalls which our clients face.
- We practice before the Family Courts on all islands, including Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island of Hawaii.
- We are accessible to our clients. We are prompt. Every client has the ability to reach us 24/7 should the need arise. Phone calls are promptly returned, and e-mails are promptly responded to. Meetings, as necessary, are scheduled in short order.
- We understand the tax aspects of divorce, the division and distribution of retirement incident to divorce, how estate planning is affected by divorce, and the special rules regarding property division, child support, and alimony in more complicated divorces.
- We strictly limit the number of clients we take on in order to give the necessary prompt attention to each individual client.
- We will only represent those clients who legitimately need the kind of skill, experience, technical ability, attention to detail, standard of quality, and discretion which we offer.
- We are experienced in every method of alternative dispute resolution in Hawaii divorce cases including collaborative practice, cooperative divorce, mediation, arbitration, special mastering, and private judging.
- We are skilled divorce litigators. We have litigated some of the most difficult contested divorce cases before the Family Courts on all islands, and we’ve been involved in some of Hawaii’s most important divorce appeals.
- We have established special relationships with some of the best local and national forensic accountants, appraisers, business valuators, and other divorce experts to assist us in advancing our clients’ interests.
- We have developed unique and time-tested procedures to efficiently and successfully address every divorce issue conceivable.