When family finances are complex and involved, and matrimonial issues arise, everything you do matters. You need the best help you can find.
Hawaii’s First Family Lawyer of the Year
On its 25th anniversary, for the first time, Best Lawyers in America, the nation’s preeminent attorney rating service, designated “Lawyers of the Year” in high profile legal specialties. Selected as “Lawyers of the Year” were those who had received uniquely high ratings from their colleagues for their abilities, professionalism, and integrity. Of the forty-three (43) Hawaii attorney practice specialties, lawyers in only six (6) practice areas were designated “Lawyer of the Year.” Among them was William C. Darrah, “Hawaii’s First Family Lawyer of the Year.”
Distinctions and Awards
William C. Darrah has received numerous distinctions and awards for his professional accomplishments. He has been a fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 1985. Since 1989, Martindale Hubbell has given Mr. Darrah its distinguished AV rating signifying preeminent levels of legal ability and the highest ethical standards. Presently, only three (3) family law practitioners in Hawaii are recognized in Best Lawyers in America, AAML fellows, Martindale Hubbell AV rated, and Super Lawyer designees. Mr. Darrah has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1989, and he has been a “Hawaii Super Lawyer” since 2008.
Our Specialty Practice
We have been for many years the only Hawaii family law firm specializing in the representation of clients with more financially complicated matrimonial matters. We know they need the kind of skill, experience, technical ability, attention to detail, standard of quality, and discretion which we provide. In practice since 1976, we have what’s required to successfully handle any matrimonial matter, no matter how complicated.
“Discreet, Dignified, Done Right”
Our motto is “Discreet, Dignified, Done Right.” We go to great lengths to protect the privacy of our clients’ personal and financial matters. We believe in a dignified approach because it produces the best results. We scrupulously attend to every aspect of every client’s situation, from the very beginning to very end, to ensure that, when it’s over, there are absolutely no “legal loose ends.”
We readily share our knowledge of Hawaii family law. Since 1990 we have distributed the monthly Journal of Hawaii Family Law to our colleagues, and to the judges and justices of the Hawaii Family Court, the Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals, and the Hawai‘i Supreme Court. Since 2002 we have presented the monthly Divorce Law in Hawai‘i public education program at the Hawaii Supreme Court. For nearly twenty (20) years we have trained divorce mediators at the Mediation Center of the Pacific, Hawaii’s largest provider of divorce mediation services. Since 1994, we have published the Hawaii Divorce Manual, the Hawaii State Bar Association’s flagship practice manual. We believe that educating others contributes significantly to the elimination of needless conflict and expense in resolving matrimonial issues.
We offer a wide range of professional services for those with matrimonial challenges.
- Traditional Representation We represent clients in the process of divorce. We are skilled negotiators who successfully settle the vast majority of our cases. And while we favor settlement, we are also seasoned litigators with experience in some of Hawaii’s most landmark divorce cases, should a hearing or a trial before the Family Court, or an appeal to the Hawaii Intermediate Court Appeals or the Hawaii Supreme Court, be required.
- Cooperative Practice We emphasize cooperative divorce. That’s where the couple selects the negotiating model, and the dispute resolution mechanism, the couple collaborates to find agreeable solutions, the Guidelines of Courtesy and Civility for the lawyers are mandatory, and Family Court litigation is the last resort.
- Postnuptial Agreements We prepare postnuptial agreements as a viable alternative to a present divorce. In Hawaii, a postnuptial agreement can control the outcome when the marriage ultimately ends, either by divorce or by the death of one of the spouses, and it can also regulate matters during the marriage.
- Collaborative Practice In appropriate cases, we represent spouses in collaborative engagements, where lawyers are retained to settle cases, and not litigate, and if litigation ensues, new attorneys are required.
- Mediation We serve as divorce mediators in more financially complex matrimonial matters where both spouses are represented by independent counsel.
- Arbitration William C. Darrah is an arbitrator for the Family Law Tribunal of Dispute Prevention Resolution, Hawaii’s preeminent provider of ADR services.
- Premarital Agreements We do not prepare premarital agreements because we believe that too often they create unnecessary conflict, and can potentially interfere with what would otherwise be a happy marriage.
If you would like to inquire about the possibility of a consultation, please call us in Honolulu at 808-533-2930 during normal business hours.